The principle aims of the MCMP are:
- To produce and disseminate original research of excellence that results from the application of mathematical methods within any area of philosophy and which gets published in international peer-reviewed journals or monographs.
- To support promising early career philosophers, as well as scientists who intend to turn to philosophy, to develop their interests and skills and to absorb examples of best research practice in collaboration with experts at the MCMP and at the Faculty of Philosophy, Philosophy of Science and the Study of Religion at the LMU Munich.
- To stimulate and coordinate work on mathematical philosophy worldwide through the invitation of visiting scholars, international networks, colloquia, conferences, and virtual collaboration and dissemination.
- To develop standing research liaisons with selected institutions of philosophical excellence worldwide.
- To foster collaboration with researchers from adjacent areas, such as cognitive science, computers science, economics, mathematics, neurosciences, statistics, and physics, whether internationally, within Germany, or locally in Munich.
- To communicate a sense of the goals, results and interest of our research to a non-professional audience.