Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Lehrstuhl für Logik und Sprachphilosophie
+49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 5473
- CV_steinberger (122 KByte)
Florian Steinberger was educated at the University of Paris I, Panthéon-Sorbonne where he took a Maîtrise in philosophy and in mathematical logic. He then crossed the Channel to pursue graduate work at the University of Cambridge where he took an MPhil and a PhD. From 2008 to 2011, he held a Junior Research Fellowship at Queens’ College, University of Cambridge, where he was also Director of Studies in philosophy. In April 2011, Florian took up his current position as Assistant Professor in Logic and Philosophy of Language. In Spring 2012, he was Visiting Scholar at the Department of Philosophy and Patrick Suppes Center for History and Philosophy of Science, Stanford University. During the summer semester 2014, Florian will be Junior Researcher in Residence at the Center of Advanced Studies, LMU. In the spring of 2015, he will be joining the Department of Philosophy at Birkbeck College, University of London.
Florian's main research interests lie at the intersection of (formal) epistemology and philosophy of logic (in particular, the normative role of logic in our cognitive economy and its relation to other epistemic norms), as well with the philosophy of language. He also maintains an active interest in the philosophy of mathematics (logicism, intuitionism), metaphysics (realism/anti-realism), Frege and (increasingly) Carnap with occasional forays into the philosophy of religion.
In 2004, Florian received the Matthew Buncombe Prize for the best performance in the MPhil degree at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Cambridge. During 2004-2009, he received a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and an AHRC Studentship as well as an Elizabeth Cherry Major Honorary Scholarship (Hughes Hall, University of Cambridge). Between 2007-2011 he was elected Special Supervisor at Newnham College, University of Cambridge. Together with Julien Murzi, he received a British Academy/Leverhulme Research Grant (£ 10k) for the project 'Inference and Logic' (2013-2015). More information can be found here: http://inferenceandlogic.wordpress.com/. Recently, he was awarded a Junior Researcher in Residence Fellowship by the Center of Advanced Studies of the LMU.
- ‘How Tolerant Can You Be? Carnap on Rationality’ to appear in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research.
- ‘Explosion and the Normativity of Logic’, to appear in Mind.
- ‘Inferential Role Semantics’ (with Julien Murzi), to appear in Blackwell Companion to Philosophy of Language, second edition, B. Hale, A. Miller and C. Wright (Ed.).
- ‘On the Equivalence Conjecture for Proof-Theoretic Harmony’, Notre Dame Journal for Formal Logic, Vol. 54 (1), 2013: 79-86.
- ‘Is Logical Knowledge Dispositional?’ (with Julien Murzi), Philosophical Studies, Vol. 166 (1), 2013: 165-183.
Drafts of most of my papers can be downloaded here: http://lmu-munich.academia.edu/FlorianSteinberger