Giovanni Valente completed a PhD degree (2009) in philosophy at the University of Maryland College Park. He is currently Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh, and will be visiting the MCMP for 6 months each year (Jun–Dec) until 2017 on a Humboldt Fellowship for Experienced Researchers.
Giovanni Valente’s research interests lie in the philosophy of physics and the philosophy of science, with particular focus on causality, time, inter-theoretical reduction and climate models.
Selected Recent and Forthcoming Publications
- “Is there a Stability Problem for Bayesian Noncommutative Probabilities?”, in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 38, December 2007, pp. 832-843.
- “John von Neumann’s Mathematical ‘Utopia’ in Quantum Theory”, in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 39, November 2008, pp. 860-871
- “How Local are Local Operations in Local Quantum Field Theory?”, co-author with Miklos Rédei, in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 41, November 2010, pp. 346-353
- "Can Entanglement be Destroyed by Any Local Operation in Relativistic Quantum Field Theory?", in Philosophy of Science 77, December 2010, pp. 1029-1041
- “Reduction, Emergence and Physics”, co-editor with Stephan Hartmann, Special Issue of Foundations of Physics, volume 41, June 2011
- "Local Disentanglement in Relativistic Quantum Field Theory", in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 44, November 2013, pp. 424-432
- "Relativistic Causality in Algebraic Quantum Field Theory", co-author with John Earman, in International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Vol.28, July 2014, pp. 1-48
- "The Approach Towards Equilibrium in Lanford's Theorem", in European Journal for Philosophy of Science 4, October 2014, pp. 309-335
- “Restoring Particle Phenomenology”, forthcoming in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics
- “Does the Reeh-Schlieder Theorem Violate Relativistic Causality?”, in Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 48, November 2014, pp.147-155
- - "Relativistic Causality", co-editor with James O. Weatherall, Special Issue of Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, Volume 48, November 2014
- "Time and Irreversibility in Axiomatic Thermodynamics", co-author with Harvey R. Brown and Robert Marsland III, in American Journal for Physics 83, July 2015, pp. 628-634
- "Lanford's Theorem and the Emergence of Irreversibility", co-author with Jos Uffink, in Foundations of Physics, Vol.45, April 2015, pp. 404-438