Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP)
- CV Ivano Ciardelli (May 2020) (53 KByte)
Ivano obtained his PhD from the University of Amsterdam in 2016. During his PhD, he was a visiting student at MIT and as a visiting researcher at NYU. He worked as a researcher at the ILLC (University of Amsterdam) in the context of an ERC-funded project he co-wrote with Floris Roelofsen. In 2017 he joined the MCMP as an assistant professor.
Ivano conducts research in logic, philosophy of language, and natural language semantics. His main topic of interest are the semantics, logic, and pragmatics of fragments of language whose analysis requires resources beyond standard truth-conditional semantics. In particular, he has been interested in questions, conditionals, epistemic modals, and imperatives. Together with Jeroen Groenendijk and Floris Roelofsen, he developed Inquisitive Semantics, a semantic framework which allows for a unified analysis of statements and questions. His work connects with a wide range of topic in logic (modal, intuitionistic, dependence, dynamic, and truth-maker logics), philosophy of language (expressivism, dynamic semantics, hyperintensionality), formal semantics (compositional semantics of questions, modals, and conditionals), philosophy of mind (question-directed attitudes), and epistemology (belief revision, contrastive knowledge).
Further activities and awards
Ivano supervises a PhD student based at the ILLC in Amsterdam. He was a keynote speaker at the Poznan Reasoning Week (2016), Logic and Engineering of Natural Language Semantics (2017), Asking and Answering (2020), and the Workshop on Logics of Dependence and Independence (2020). In 2019 he received a prize for good teaching by the LMU Philosophy Fachschaft.
Main recent publications
- 2019. I. Ciardelli. Indicative conditionals and graded information. Journal of Philosophical Logic.
- 2019. I. Ciardelli, R. Iemhoff, and F. Yang. Questions and dependency in intuitionistic logic. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic.
- 2019. I. Ciardelli and X. Liu. Intuitionistic conditional logics. Journal of Philosophical Logic.
- 2018. I. Ciardelli. Questions as information types. Synthese.
- 2018. I. Ciardelli, L. Zhang, and L. Champollion. Two switches in the theory of counterfactuals. Linguistics and Philosophy.
- 2018. I. Ciardelli and F. Roelofsen. An inquisitive perspective on modals and quantifiers. Annual Review of Linguistics.
- 2017 I. Ciardelli. Question Meaning = Resolution Conditions. Logic and Logical Philosophy.
- 2017 I. Ciardelli and F. Roelofsen. Hurford’s constraint, the semantics of disjunction, and the nature of alternatives. Natural Language Semantics.