I am principal investigator of the DFG funded research project Interventions and Mechanistic Hierarchies (441311834) at the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP) at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU), Germany. Before, I was a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Theoretical Philosophy at the University of Groningen, Netherlands, and a research fellow at the Duesseldorf Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science (DCLPS) at the University of Duesseldorf, Germany. I am a member of the ANR funded research project Insights from Bolzano and was part of the DFG funded research units Inductive Metaphysics (FOR 2495) and Causation, Laws, Disposition, Explanation: At the Intersection of Science and Metaphysics (FOR 1063). I obtained my PhD from the University of Duesseldorf and my MA from the University of Salzburg, Austria.
My research interests lie in philosophy of science and its intersection with epistemology, metaphysics, and philosophy of mind. I am especially interested in causation and related topics such as intervention, policy, grounding, constitution, supervenience, emergence, multiple realization, reduction, representation, explanation, prediction, confirmation, unification, inference, abduction, analogy, disposition, action, (in)determinism, and time.
- Editor-in-Chief of KRITERION — Journal of Philosophy
- Editor for the PhilPapers categories Causal Reasoning & Causal Modeling
- Honorary Treasurer of the German Society for Philosophy of Science (GWP)
- Gebharter, A., & Eronen, M. I. (forthcoming). Quantifying proportionality and the limits of higher-level causation and explanation. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Feldbacher-Escamilla, C. J., & Gebharter, A. (2020). Confirmation based on analogical inference: Bayes meets Jeffrey. Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 50(2), 174–194.
- Gebharter, A. (2020). Free will as a higher-level phenomenon? Thought: a Journal of Philosophy, 9(3), 177–187.
- Gebharter, A., Sekatskaya, M., & Schurz, G. (2020). Free will, control, and the possibility to do otherwise from a causal modeler’s perspective. Erkenntnis, 40(3), 1–18.
- Feldbacher-Escamilla, C. J., & Gebharter, A. (2019). Modeling creative abduction Bayesian style. European Journal for Philosophy of Science, 9(1), 9.
- Gebharter, A., & Fischer, F. (2019). A causal Bayes net analysis of dispositions. Synthese, 121(1/2), 3.
- Gebharter, A. (2017). Causal exclusion and causal Bayes nets. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 95(2), 353–375.
- Gebharter, A. (2017). Uncovering constitutive relevance relations in mechanisms. Philosophical Studies, 174(11), 2645–2666.
- Baumgartner, M., & Gebharter, A. (2016). Constitutive relevance, mutual manipulability, and fat-handedness. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 67(3), 731–756.