Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP)
Lorenzo Rossi obtained a DPhil in Philosophy from the University of Oxford in 2016, under the supervision of Volker Halbach and Tim Williamson. During his DPhil, he spent a visiting semester at NYU (visiting supervisor: Hartry Field) and Salzburg (visiting supervisors: Julien Murzi and Charlotte Werndl). After his DPhil, he was a Research Fellow at the University of Salzburg, in the framework of an FWF-funded 4-years project he co-wrote with Julien Murzi on semantic paradoxes and absolute generality. He joined the MCMP in October 2019.
Lorenzo’s research has focused on theories of truth (mostly many-valued and substructural), revenge paradoxes, truth-theoretical deflationism, and trivalent semantics for indicative conditionals. In his current work, he is developing classical contextualist theories of truth that are compatible with absolutely general quantification, semantics for theories of grounding, and a unified approach to semantic paradoxes and the paradoxes of vagueness.
- (2020) “De Finettian logics of indicative conditionals. Part I: Trivalent semantics and validity” (with P. Égré and J. Sprenger), forthcoming in the Journal of Philosophical Logic.
- (2020) “De Finettian logics of indicative conditionals. Part II: Proof-theory and algebraic semantics” (with P. Égré and J. Sprenger), forthcoming in the Journal of Philosophical Logic.
- (2020) “The expressive power of contextualist truth” (with J. Murzi), to appear in C. Nicolai and J. Stern (eds.), Modes of Truth. The Unified Approach to Modality, Truth, and Paradox, Routledge.
- (2020) “Generalised revenge” (with J. Murzi), forthcoming in the Australasian Journal of Philosophy.
- (2019) “A unified theory of truth and paradox”, The Review of Symbolic Logic, 12(2), pp. 209-254 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1755020319000078
- (2019) “Conservative deflationism?” (with J. Murzi), Philosophical Studies, online first, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11098-018-1193-5
- (2019) “Non-contractability and revenge” (with J. Murzi), Erkenntnis, online first, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10670-018-0056-y.
- (2019) “Model-theoretic semantics and revenge paradoxes”, Philosophical Studies, 176(4), pp. 1035–1054, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11098-018-1041-7
- (2018) “Reflection principles and the Liar in context” (with J. Murzi), Philosophers’ Imprint, 18(15), pp. 1-18. permalink: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/spo.3521354. 0018.015
- (2018) “Principles for object-linguistic consequence: from logical to irreflexive” (with C. Nicolai), Journal of Philosophical Logic, 47(3), pp. 549-577, doi: https: //doi.org/10.1007/s10992-017-9438-x.
- (2017) “Naïve validity” (with J. Murzi), Synthese, online first, doi: https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s11229-017-1541-6.
- (2016) “Adding a conditional to Kripke’s theory of truth”, Journal of Philosophical Logic, 45(5), pp. 485-529, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10992-015-9384-4.