History & Principal Aims
The MCMP was founded by Hannes Leitgeb in October 2010. Its initial team arrived by April 2011, and the MCMP was in full operation by May 2011. In October 2012 Stephan Hartmann moved to LMU Munich and joined directorship of the MCMP with Hannes Leitgeb. Both Hannes Leitgeb and Stephan Hartmann have been awarded Alexander von Humboldt Professorships by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, and they are using these funds (and funds from LMU) in order to build up the MCMP.
The principal aims of the MCMP are:
- To produce and disseminate original research of excellence that results from the application of mathematical methods within any area of philosophy and which gets published in international peer-reviewed journals or monographs.
- To support promising early career philosophers, as well as scientists who intend to turn to philosophy, to develop their interests and skills and to absorb examples of best research practice in collaboration with experts at the MCMP and at the Faculty of Philosophy, Philosophy of Science and the Study of Religion at the LMU Munich.
- To stimulate and coordinate work on mathematical philosophy worldwide through the invitation of visiting scholars, international networks, colloquia, conferences, and virtual collaboration and dissemination.
- To develop standing research liaisons with selected institutions of philosophical excellence worldwide.
- To foster collaboration with researchers from adjacent areas, such as cognitive science, computers science, economics, mathematics, neurosciences, statistics, and physics, whether internationally, within Germany, or locally in Munich.
- To communicate a sense of the goals, results and interest of our research to a non-professional audience.
The MCMP provides detailed reports about its activities.
- Annual Report 2011 (362kb)
- Annual Report 2012-I (460kb)
- Annual Report 2012-II (1,15mb)
- Annual Report 2013-I (419kb)
- Annual Report 2013-II (280kb)
- Annual Report 2014-I (436kb)
- Annual Report 2014-II (552kb)
- Annual Report 2015-I (1,5mb)
- Annual Report 2015-II (877Kb)
- Annual Report 2016-II (898kb)
- Annual Report 2017-II (842kb)
- Annual Report 2018-II (619kb)
- Annual Report 2019-II (320kb)
- Annual Report 2020 (328kb)
- Annual Report 2021 (309kb)