Two Lecturer Positions (equivalent to Assistant Professorship) at the MCMP
The Chair of Philosophy of Science (Prof. Dr. Stephan Hartmann) and the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP) in the Faculty of Philosophy, Philosophy of Science and Study of Religion is seeking applications for
two Lecturer Positions (equivalent to Assistant Professorship)
(initially for three years, non-tenure track, full time)
starting on October 1, 2022.
The appointees will be expected to:
- do philosophical research, especially in philosophy of physics (= Position 1) or in (one or more of the fields) formal epistemology, social epistemology, philosophy of statistics, philosophy of artificial intelligence, philosophy and psychology of reasoning and argumentation (= Position 2)
- teach five hours a week in areas relevant to the chair (BA- and MA-seminars)
- participate in the administrative work of the MCMP (e.g., organization of workshops, research cooperations and exchanges, administrative tasks)
The successful candidates will have:
- a PhD in philosophy
- documented teaching experience
- carried out research in the relevant areas
For Position 2, the ability to teach a course that introduces computational methods and computer programming to bachelor and master students of philosophy and to show how modeling and simulation methods can be used to address philosophical problems would be a plus.
Your workplace is centrally located in Munich and is very easy to reach by public transport. We offer you an interesting and responsible job with good training and development opportunities.
The employment takes place within the TV-L scheme. The position is initially limited to September 30, 2025.
Furthermore, given equal qualification, severely physically challenged applicants will be preferred.
Applications (including a cover letter, a CV, a list of publications, a list of taught courses, a sample of written work of no more than 5000 words, and a description of a planned research project which is suitable for German or European funding agencies of 1000-1500 words) should be sent by email until 1 March 2022 as a single PDF document (ideally of no more than 5 MB and with the name yourlastname.pdf) to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention in the email for which position (Position 1 or Position 2) you are applying.
Additionally, two confidential letters of recommendation addressing the applicant's qualifications for academic research should be sent to the same address from the referees directly.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Stephan Hartmann (email@example.com).
More information about the MCMP can be found at http://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de/index.html.
The German description of the position is available at https://www.lmu.de/de/die-lmu/arbeiten-an-der-lmu/stellenportal/stellenbeschreibung/wissenschaftliche-assistentin-wissenschaftlicher-assistent-m-w-d-2.html.